Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Feeling strangely fine (With apologies to Semisonic)

Just in case the reference was missed, Feeling Strangely Fine is the title of a CD by Semisonic. I do not intend to apologize to that band in this post, rather I was giving them credit for the phrase.

And it is the best phrase to describe where I'm at, for the moment. Feeling strangely fine. After only a week out of the hospital I'm feeling much better than I expected to by now, but still far from 100%. Most of that litany of problems I was facing are now pretty much behind me.

I am still on pain medication, though I've reduced it two about two pills a days which is down from four a week ago. Some days I manage less than two pills, but I am trying not to be heroic about the whole thing. As I learned in the hospital, once the pain is out of the picture, the possibilities for improvement are much greater. My goal at this point is to be down to one pill or less by the end of the upcoming weekend.

I've also started back to work, just a bit. I worked a half day yesterday and have another half day planned for tomorrow. This is 'at home' work mind you as I still have a couple weeks before I am driving again. My basic plan is 12 hours this week, 20 the following week and we will see where it goes from there. I might ramp up quicker depending on how I am feeling. Exhaustion and the pain pills are my main issues at this moment and I have to admit the half day was more tiring than I expected.

Aside from that, I've been out and about a couple times. My daughter Ally has become my personal chauffeur. We make a good pair, I need a driver and she needs a parent in the car in order to drive on her permit. I've also continued my walks, averaging 1-2 miles a day, though I managed three miles quiet nicely on Sunday. I've moved into Simon's air-conditioned room upstairs at night which makes me much less likely to take my sunrise walk, but I still get my nightly walk in every night.

Aside from all that I'm doing just fine. Not bored yet, with 7 1/2 hours of court programs each day how can I be? And not quiet itching to get back into daily life either. Progressing slowly, but surely.

She's got it all worked out I'm afraid
And your life is arranged
And it's strange but you're feeling fine

Jack

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home